My Kiddos

My Kiddos
Delta Summer Institute: My Carver Champions, 6th Grade

Friday, August 13, 2010

A little town called Warrenton


I am overwhelmed with gratitude. 


I attempt to figure out why, and can't really pinpoint it, but I know it has something to do with where I am. Twenty days ago I had no idea I would be living in a little town called Warrenton. Warrenton, North Carolina is a tight-knit community that boasts a population of 811 strong!  In all honesty, I feel like I have stepped onto the scene of a movie. The history here is so rich, so old, and readily felt. 

Downtown is one street... cleverly named "Main Street". Main St. is lined with small shops that sell anything from old antiques, to flowers and school uniforms. There are brick sidewalks, window boxes, and handmade signs! Churches have been built on most every corner, and there are a total of three restaurants one can choose from (one even has wireless internet!). The large, brick courthouse marks the center of "downtown" and stands proudly, surrounded by a beautifully landscaped lawn.

Warrenton is quaint in every form of the word. The houses are old, and most have large front porches furnished with wooden rocking chairs.  White picket signs are staked outside of houses registered as "historic sites" and are literally everywhere! Houses stand that were built as far back as the 1790s. I can only imagine the memories held inside those walls.

When I drove to Warrenton for the first time, my car was packed literally from front to back, floor to ceiling. Tito was pacing around the back seat and definitely done with the long drive. We started in the mountains of West Virginia, made it through several cities, and finally onto two-lane roads, surrounded by fields as far as the eye could see. All of a sudden there was a little sign on the side of the road that said "Welcome to Warrenton." That saying would prove to be quite a popular theme over the next few days.

I made it to my house (which I had committed to over the phone, sight-unseen) :)...and my heart jumped. Big red porch, large yard, and ROCKING CHAIRS!!! Tito jumped out and "marked his territory" :)

My landlord showed me around, and as he was leaving, said proudly, "Welcome to Warrenton. We are so happy you are here."
He left and I started moving things in. About ten minutes later, two of my neighbors came outside and said "Welcome to Warrenton!!!"Their exclamation was followed by a thirty minute conversation about how in the world I got here! Naturally I explained that I was a new teacher at Warrenton Middle School! The typical response here is an enthusiastic, "Well, Honey, Bless you!" followed by a flood of other questions! My neighbors followed suit.

Reader's Digest Version: A typical "Welcome to Warrenton" conversation starts with a great big smile, a full-armed wave, and a swift and simultaneous walk toward you (with no bother to look both ways when jogging across the street). Quick introductions, handshakes and/or hugs, are followed by the famous "How'd you get here?" question. I respond with anything that involves the word "teacher" or "teaching" and eyes light up! Many people will tell you about their kids, nieces, nephews, or grandchildren who go to Warren County Schools and ask you if you have them in your class :) I explain, "I don't have my roster yet, but I would be honored to have them!"  Many people then explain how they have lived in Warrenton, "all my life" and graduated from Warren County High School in (insert year)!

Everyone has something different to share about the area. Some tell me stories about the history of Warrenton, others offer suggestions for everything from grocery stores to churches. More tell me about their families and attempt to give me directions to ALL of their relatives houses! :) I have been offered food, sheets, brownies, "protection" (my personal favorite), someone to watch my house, babysit Tito, drive me to church, water the plants on my porch, mow my lawn...the works!! Since the minute I stepped out of my car in Warrenton I have been completely overwhelmed by the hospitality here. It just fills your heart, and literally makes you a better person!

I go on runs around the neighborhood and literally feel compelled (in the best way!) to wave to every single car that passes! A few times I will beat them to it, but every single person waves back (most wave first- kindly reminding me to get on it! I am in the south now!). For all of you reading this who are back in California... get this started please!!! Wave to everyone you see or pass! :) Or at least try! Talk to people in the grocery store, or in line picking up coffee... take the time to stop. People are so happy down here, and you can tell they feel connected! Granted, I am in a town with a population of just over 800, but clearly I don't know everyone.... yet :)

On my third day I came home from a day tour of Warren County, only to find a huge quiche, a loaf of homemade bread, a famous "ridgeway cantaloupe", and a map of North Carolina sitting on my porch. What!?!?! I took them inside, unwrapped them and could not believe how phenomenal everything was. I checked my phone and had a message from my landlord's wife who politely gave me directions for what to do with the quiche.... I followed every one. She ended her message with "Welcome to Warrenton".

I have lived here for just over a week, and I already have dozens of stories about the people here who have made me feel so "at home." The new teachers and the police officers have made quite a bond, eating dinner together regularly at Warrenton's downtown pizza place! The first time we ate there our dessert was leftover birthday cake from a little boys birthday party! His mom insisted and continued to hand out pieces to everyone in the restaurant. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

The people here are so kind, so loving, and even more welcoming... in a way I could have never imagined. They genuinely want you to not only love their home, but to make it your own.
The thing that makes me the most happy, is that people know why I am here. They know I am here for the kids in this county. To give them every opportunity, and every shot at reaching their goals. People here value education so much and they are unbelievably thankful for others who value it in the same way!

For those of you who have had the cynical thought that I am just saying all this so people will come visit me.... you are correct (in one sense)! I certainly am telling you this to make (or maybe a better word is "encourage") you to come visit... but the best part is that it is all true!! I think everyone should experience feeling so welcomed in a place like this. It is truly amazing.

Each day offers us the gift of being a special occasion if we can simply learn that as well as giving, it is blessed to receive with grace and a grateful heart." - Sarah Ban Breathnach

A litte bit of history: 

Warrenton, North Carolina was developed by Mr. William Christmas on July 22, 1779. Warrenton is in Warren County, which was named after Dr. Joseph Warren, who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. Warren County's main source of income was tobacco, and more revenue was found in cotton. 

http://www.warrenton-nc.com/history.shtml will take you to more information!!

The Courthouse: Downtown Warrenton, N.C.


The Hardware Cafe


Come visit and see for yourself. My house is always open! Must love dogs ;)












3 comments:

  1. WOW and WOW again. What a beautiful blog. What beautiful writing! Hmm. . . . I wonder if you can set a blog up for your kids so they can share their writings, too. Just a thought. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done and done! My kids are going to be blogging about what they are learning- giving them a chance to share, type, interact, and post pictures of their assignments!!! :) Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you are finally experiencing Southern hospitality! California needs a few lessons! Remember Case, you were born in the South (Greenville, SC) and is where you belong....already serving meals and baking brownies- sharing a meal and nourishing each other is what being on this Earth is all about. God's plan. Girl, you are putting Warrenton on the map! I love you so much and cannot wait to visit! Might not be this weekend as I might die during this Triathlon....you are 100% in my Will.

    ReplyDelete